At AVE Bags we strive to use as much plant-based material as possible. Avoiding the use of plastics whenever possible. Unlike other vegan brands, we want our bags to be sustainable without the use of toxic materials like PVC.
You can find information about some of our most commonly used plant-based materials below:
PLANT BASED LEATHER:
The outer material we use is a highly sustainable plant based vegan-leather made from cactus. This material is world's first highly sustainable and environmentally friendly organic material made of cactus.
Often distinguished by its great softness at touch while offering a great quality and environmental standards. This material offers great alternative to leather product in many ways, some of its main benefits are that cactus leather is:
- Cruelty free
- Free of toxic chemicals, phthalates and PVC
- Low water usage
- Reducing carbon emissions
- Partially biodegradable
- No irrigation system is used for the cactus, it grows with rain water and the earth minerals which are rich in Zacatecas and great for the variety of cactus that are planted.
- Other non-cactus C3 plants such as corn need on average 1,000 liters of water to produce 1 kilogram of dry matter/material while cactus (CAM) only needs 200 liters, however these 200 liters are absorbed by the plant itself through its natural hygroscopic mechanism.
- After cutting the mature leaves, they are dried under the sun. This means, there is no additional energy used in this drying process. Then the organic raw material is processed using a specific formula to generate the end plan based vegan-leather material.
- During this entire process there is no use of herbicides or pesticides. All the remaining organic cactus material not used in this process is exported and sold nationally in the food industry.
A few facts about this material:
- Enrichment of soil micro-flora and micro-fauna through native and typical organic cactus afforestation.
- Huge savings in water as no irrigation is applied.
- Environmental preservation as no chemicals are used like herbicides or pesticides.
- Cactus is left unharmed to enable repeated harvesting from the same plant.
- Energy savings by drying the feed-stock in a solarium.
- No cross-industry conflict as the byproduct is directed to the food industry in an increased value form which is more attractive, and stimulates the agricultural sector to plant more cactus.
- Full vision and traceability of the farm to ensure sustainable social practices.
Why Cactus Leather:
- By now all of us know that ''The Amazon is the Lungs of the Earth''. It means that the Amazon is home to 200 million cattle - not Logging but cattle. Cattle ranching is the largest driver of Amazon deforestation. 450,000 sq.km. of Brazil rain forest now is pasture, for comparison, Germany is 350,000 sq.km. UK is 240,000 sq.km. It is often said that a piece of a hamburger is a piece of the Amazon. 20% of the Amazon has been destroyed. An area the size of the UK is lost every year, although sometimes are much higher.
- 72 BILLION ANIMALS ARE SLAUGHTERED EVERY YEAR
Cotton is so simple, why did we want talk about it here? Well, first off we use both recycled and new cotton. Cotton should be a consideration when you buy anything. Should you throw anything out made of cotton, it biodegrades relatively quickly because it is made of cellulose, an organic compound that is the basis of plant cell walls and vegetable fibers.
Polyesters used by other larger brands are plastics plain and simple. Below are 4 reasons we do not use polyester:
1. Polyester encourages fashion overproduction and waste.
2. Polyester is made from fossil fuels.
3. Polyester is not biodegradable.
4. can shed toxic microfibers.
OTHER KEY MATERIALS:
- Rice Husk
- Other recycled materials.